Menactra – Sanofi
Indication and Usage –
- Menactra, Meningococcal (Groups A, C, Y and W-135) Polysaccharide Diphtheria Toxoid 4 Conjugate Vaccine, is indicated for active immunization to prevent invasive meningococcal 5 disease caused by Neisseria meningitidis serogroups A, C, Y and W-135.
- Menactra is approved 6 for use in individuals 9 months through 55 years of age. Menactra does not prevent N meningitidis 7 serogroup B disease.
Dosage and Administration –
- Menactra is administered as a 0.5 mL dose by intramuscular injection.
- Do not administer this product intravenously or subcutaneously.
- In children 9 through 23 months of age, Menactra is given as a 2-dose series three months apart.
- Individuals 2 through 55 years of age, Menactra is given as a single dose.
- A single booster dose may be given to individuals 15 through 55 years of age at continued risk for meningococcal disease, if at least 4 years have elapsed since the prior dose.
- Severe allergic reaction (eg, anaphylaxis) after a previous dose of a meningococcal capsular 13 polysaccharide-, diphtheria toxoid- or CRM197-containing vaccine, or to any component of 14 Menactra.
Adverse reactions –
- The most frequently reported solicited injection site and systemic adverse reactions within 7 days following vaccination in children 9 months and 12 months of age were injection site tenderness and irritability.
- The most frequently reported solicited injection site and systemic adverse reactions in US children aged 2-10 years of age were injection site pain and irritability. Diarrhea, drowsiness and anorexia were also common.
Drug interactions and other interactions –
- Menactra vaccine was concomitantly administered with Typhim Vi [Typhoid Vi Polysaccharide 20 Vaccine] (Typhoid) and Tetanus and Diphtheria Toxoids Adsorbed, For Adult Use (Td) vaccine, 21 in individuals 18 through 55 and 11 through 17 years of age, respectively.
- In children 4 through 6 years of age, Menactra was co-administered with DAPTACEL, and in children younger than 2 years of age, Menactra was co-administered with one or more of the following vaccines: PCV7, 2 MMR, V, MMRV, or HepA.