We generally plan a lot when it comes to abroad travel for vacation or business purpose. We prepare a checklist to make sure that you carry all important stuff such as passport, documents, medicines, travel insurance and what not. But what we miss, is to insure our life…!
Global health regulatory bodies such as CDC and WHO recommend vaccinating yourself against country specific endemic disease which may land you in trouble and a big health risk.
Key Actions before you travel abroad:
- Make sure you and your family are getting vaccinated as per country’s requirement
- Keep your immunization card or record up to date
- Talk to your health professional at least a month before to understand which vaccination you need to take, how long it takes to develop enough immunity and how many doses are required to get complete protection
- Know the availability of a particular vaccine at your health care professional. Many clinics or health care centers do not stock yellow fever vaccine, so make sure that you are giving enough time to professional to make arrangement on its availability
- Vaccinate yourself well before time to develop immunity before you land in the foreign country
- If the plan is very last minute and the vaccine needs multiple doses, take at least one as it still gives you partial protection.